Powers and Duties
The Town Administrator shall be the chief administrative officer of the town and shall be responsible to the Board of Selectmen for the efficient administration, supervision and coordination of all departments, commissions, boards and offices that come under the jurisdiction of the Board of Selectmen.
He/she shall not, however, exercise any control over the discretionary power vested by statute in any such department, commission, board or office. He also shall coordinate all activities of town departments under the jurisdiction of the Board of Selectmen with the activities of departments under the control of officers, boards or commissions elected directly by the voters of the town.
He/she will act by and for the Board of Selectmen in any manner which it may assign to him relating to the administration of the affairs of the town, or of any town officer or department under its supervision and control, or, with the approval of the Selectmen, may perform such other duties as may be requested of him/her by any other town officer, board, committee or commission. His/her duties, as they may be assigned to him/her by the Selectmen, shall include, but shall not be limited by the following:
- Overseeing, directing and retaining responsibility for all department heads under his/her authority, including recommending appointments and terminations;
- Attending all regular and special meetings of the Board of Selectmen and other meetings as so directed;
- Attending all Annual and Special Town Meetings, having a voice but not a vote in all discussions, and answering all questions directed to him/her by members which relate to his/her by members which relate to his/her office;
- Carrying out the votes and policies of the Selectmen as so directed;
- Acting as liaison between the Board of Selectmen and all other boards and committees of the town;
- Keeping the Board of Selectmen fully informed of matters of financial and administrative concern, including county, state and federal assistance (including grants) as they relate to the continuing needs of the town;
- Representing the Board of Selectmen at local, state and county hearings of interest to the town;
- Studying and recommending long-range strategic and capital planning programs as so directed by the Board;
- Work the head of departments under the control of the Board of Selectmen in the preparation of annual town budgets and reports;
- Preparing the weekly Board of Selectmen meeting agenda and gathering all information pertinent to matters coming before the Board of Selectmen for discussion and action;
- Serving as public relations officer, processing inquiries and concerns of the public effecting solutions wherever possible;
- Serving as an ex-officio member of any/all committees appointed by the Board of Selectmen;
- Preparing the Annual Report and such other reports as the Board of Selectmen may require from time to time;
- Exercising general supervision over the organization;
- Directing and coordinating town services under the jurisdiction of the Board of Selectmen;
- Submitting to the Board of Selectmen by December1, each year, a copy of the annual budgets for the coming fiscal year containing detailed estimates of expenditures for each department and activity under the supervision of the Board of Selectmen;
- Enforcing all orders of the Board of Selectmen, all provisions of the general laws and all votes of town meeting;
- Assisting the Board of Selectmen, as necessary, in negotiating all contracts and collective bargaining agreements;
- Assisting in the maintenance and administration of the town’s personnel systems and;
- Performing any other duties required by a vote of the Board of Selectmen.